The Fathering Project has provided some tips in the hope they will help, inspire and encourage all fathers and father-figures to be the best that they can be, as all fathers and father-figures are critically important in every child’s life.
More involved fathers and father-figures = better outcomes for children.
Ideas for weekends and holidays
- Attend the kids sports and other interests (even if you don’t find some of it entertaining).
- Cook a special meal once a week/month, e.g. a pancake breakfast.
- Create annual family traditions, go to a special place, have a special family get together.
- Take all your allocated vacation time.
- Create ‘magical mystery tours’ - take them on surprise trips in cars or public transport, making fun games along the way, e.g. counting motorbikes—finish with a treat.
- Create and plan adventurous vacations in consultation with your children e.g. camping, exploring, going to new places each time.
- You can even create fun memories in your living room—with a make shift tent!