The Fathering Project has provided some tips in the hope they will help, inspire and encourage all fathers and father-figures to be the best that they can be, as all fathers and father-figures are critically important in every child’s life.
More involved fathers and father-figures = better outcomes for children.
Promoting a positive attitude to your child's school
- Show respect for your child's teachers by words and actions, e.g. actively introducing yourself to them, thanking them for teaching your children - even if you think they aren't the best teacher in the world.
- Create or join a school fathering group
- Avoid blaming teachers, or the school, if your child is struggling with work or friendships
- Support school activities such as parent evenings, busy bees, fundraising events
- Tell your children that you believe education is important and continually model this by staying in touch with their progress and discussing their reports with them in an affirming way
- Read with your child from an early age
These tips can be found in the attachment below if you wish a copy.