Following discussion and agreement amongst the Principals of all SCEA schools, we are excited to announce that from 2018, all SCEA schools will have a three week winter break over June and July. There has been very positive feedback from other schools nationwide who have implemented this policy, and we are glad that it will bring a number of benefits to our parents, staff and students.
- This extended period gives our families the opportunity to enjoy longer family vacations. This will be particularly beneficial to those who must travel long distances to visit family members. Parents will no longer have to worry that the decision to enjoy valuable time with extended family will impact their child’s learning.
- Many major school trips will be brought in to this break, reducing the impact of those trips on regular tuition.
- This extended period will allow our senior students extra time to study for their final examinations while still having the opportunity to relax.
- Our staff will also receive the opportunity to have a concentrated period of Professional Development, and be refreshed for the second half of the year.
To allow for the three week winter break, school will start slightly earlier, and finish slightly later compared to 2017.
Practically, the calendar will be rolled out as follows:
- School finishes as usual on Friday 8 December, 2017.
- School returns on Wednesday 31 January, 2018
- The new three week semester break commences at the end of term two, the first day of holidays being Saturday 30 June, 2018.
- Students return after three weeks’ holiday for Term 3 on Monday 23 July.
- The school year finishes on Wednesday, 12 December 2018.
You can access the full calendar for 2018 here. Please note each school may vary specific start and end dates for some year groups so please be sure to check exact commencement and holiday dates with your school.
We are confident that this change will be positive for our community and look forward to its’ roll out in 2018.